This is a step-by-step guide on how to create a simple Prework activity within your course.
Prework activity type allows you to upload preparatory materials for your students such as readings, presentation slides, audio lectures or video lectures providing the basic theory and content that students should review before class.
This article contains the following:
- Click on the + New Activity" button from any of the modules you want to create the Prework on.
- Fill out the Prework Basic Settings.
- Upload the Prework Materials (if any.
- Type in the Prework Settings (if any).
- Review the Prework Activity.
- Publish your activity. Click "Publish".
- Click "Go to Dashboard" to view the Prework dashboard.
The step-by-step guide to create a Prework
Step 1: Create a New Activity
- Click the "+ New Activity" button from any of the modules you want to create the Prework on.
Step 2: Fill out the Prework Basic Settings.
Choose/Change the module from the dropdown
Name of activity
Step 3 : Upload Materials (if any)
- Click the "Prework Material" button if you have materials to upload, otherwise, click "Go to Optional Settings". You can also upload materials real-time from the dashboard once the Prework is published.
- Select Files to Upload. Choose from different sources on the left side. You can upload up to 250MB of videos and files.
- Click the "Upload" button.
- Click "Go to Optional Settings" to save and move to the next step.
You can preview each file by clicking of the "Preview" button on the ACTIONS column.
You can remove any file by clicking on the "Remove" button on the ACTIONS column.
You can select all materials at once by clicking on the first box on the far-left column.
Step 4: Type in the Prework Settings (if any)
- You have the option to upload instructions for the entire Prework activity or type instructions using the textbox, create an image or add a link to a video, a presentation, or a webpage.
- Click "Review your Activity" to save and move to the next step.
Step 5: Review your activity.
- Go over the settings, materials, instructions and the entire content of your Prework in this page.
- Once you are sure of the content of the Prework, click "Publish your Activity" to save and move to the next step.ⓘ HERE are some useful information
Take the time here to review the content and settings of your Prework activity. From this page, you'll be able to edit any part of your activity, or you can click on the steps above the buttons to go back to any part of the activity.
***DO NOT FORGET TO
1. Click the GREEN button to save your edits. (Look for the UPDATE button to save)
2. If you add more materials to the Prework on the "Upload Materials" page, then make sure to click "Go to Optional Settings" to save the changes.
Step 6: Publish Prework Activity
- Choose the Open Period start and end dates.
- Click "Publish Activity" to publish.
Step 7: Go to Dashboard
- You'll be able to see the activity below the Module you have added it into.
- Click "Go to Dashboard" to monitor student data.
Overview of the Prework Dashboard
From the Prework Dashboard you can do the following things:
- Update the Open Period end-date or start date. (Click the green "Update Open Period" button).
- Force end the Prework. (Click the red "End Prework" button.)
- Reset the Prework. (Click the green "Reset" button. This will automatically unpublish the activity and students will not be able to access it unless you publish the activity again).
- Control what students can see. (Click the white "Visibility Control" button).
- Upload Prework Materials on the go. (Click the white "Prework Material" button above ACTIONS column. Once new files are added, students will be notified via email that new materials were added to the Prework.